The former vice chairman of the Department of Psychiatry, Richard C. Mohs, made a list of 20 drugs, which lead to memory loss. Here is the whole list.
• Antihistamines – Dimetane, Clistin, Tavist, Vistaril and Benadryl.
• Antidepressants – Vivactil, Elavil, Anafranil, Norpramin, Pamelor, and Surmontil.
• High blood pressure drugs
• Beta blockers (particularly those used for glaucoma)
• Benzodiazepines – Ativan, Dalmane, Librium, Klonopin, Doral, Versed, Restoril, Valium and Xanax.
• Parkinson’s disease – scopolamine, glycopyrrolate, and atropine.
• Antipsychotics – Haldol nd Mellaril.
• Barbiturates – Amytal, Seconal, Phenobarbital and Nembutal.
• Epilepsy – Phenytoin and Dilantin.
• Chemotherapy drugs
• Antibiotics (quinolones)
• Painkillers – heroin, codeine and morphine.
• Sleeping pills – Sonata, Lunesta and Ambien.
If you take some of these drugs, you should consult a doctor in order to find out if they affect your memory. There is always a healthier choice, or even another medication.
You should take more food supplements, be more physically active, and include healthy food in your diet in order to enhance brain health.