A Protein-Packed Breakfast to Grab on the Go
When you’re in a rush, those convenient breakfasts often found in the pastry display aren’t exactly the best place to look if you’re gluten-free. The solution? Make a batch of these egg, broccoli, and turkey sausage muffins over the weekend to grab and go during the workweek. At 150 calories and 12 grams of protein, these muffins are a smarter choice over any coffee shop pastry.
Get the recipe below.
- For the sausage1 tablespoon olive oil1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped1 clove garlic, minced1/2 pound ground turkey1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled1 teaspoon fennel seeds1 teaspoon dried basil1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper1 teaspoon dried parsley1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For the muffins2 cups broccoli, finely chopped1 cup shredded cheddar cheese1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (soaked in oil), finely chopped1 teaspoon dried basil1/4 teaspoon dried oregano1/2 teaspoon onion powder1/2 teaspoon sea salt8 large eggs1 tablespoon chives
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, cook onion and garlic for five minutes or until onion has browned and softened. Remove from skillet and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine turkey and the onion mixture. Add the rest of the sausage ingredients, and mix with your hands until thoroughly blended.
- Form patties of desired width and thickness (3-inch wide by 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch thick works well) by hand. Cook in the skillet over medium heat for eight minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees and the meat is no longer pink. Set aside to cool, then chop and crumble sausage into bite-size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, basil, oregano, onion powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour into the broccoli mixture and mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cups and top with chives.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Category Breakfast/BrunchCuisine North AmericanYield 12 muffinsTotal Time 59 minutes, 59 seconds
Calories per serving: 150
CLICK HERE TO CHECK MORE RECIPES:
The post A Protein-Packed Breakfast to Grab on the Go appeared first on Feminitia.